[theme-reviewers] Can we use Isotope?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Aug 19 05:11:13 UTC 2013

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 11:59 PM, Emil Uzelac <emil at uzelac.me> wrote:
> For non-commercial, personal, or open source projects and applications, you
> may use Isotope under the terms of the MIT License. You may use Isotope for
> free.

Hmmm... Given that everything in our directories are open-source and
free of charge, then that would seem to be the case.

However, open source does not mean "free of charge". A thing can be
commercial and also open-source. In which case his licensing terms
contradict themselves.

On the whole, I'd say that it's acceptable for the WordPress.org
directories, but given the inconsistent terms of the license page, the
project is probably unreliable in the long run. I would advice
*against* using that code, as the developer may change-his-mind down
the road. When the terms of copyright licensing are inconsistent, it
is not safe to use that code in derivative projects.

The WordPress project itself would most likely not use that code for
this reason.