[theme-reviewers] GPL-compatible social media icon sets

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Fri May 18 14:08:25 UTC 2012

I totally get where you're coming from. I'm actually going to be swapping
some icons in my own Theme, because the icon designer changed the license
since I first got them. While I know I'm fully within my rights to use the
icons under the license terms under which I downloaded them, I'd rather
remove even any hint of ambiguity.

What I would prefer to avoid is arbitrarily limiting usable resources,
which I fear would be the result of moving to a known-license
whitelist. Part of the problem is that bundled resources like icons are
binary blobs, and aren't 100% analogous to parsed/compiled code. The GPL is
a known entity among programmers/developers, but far less known outside of
that community - including icon set designers. Those who design them don't
think or behave like programmers. The very concept of GPL compatibility may
very well be foreign to them, *even if their intent is to provide all the
same freedoms to their end users*.

In an ideal world, more designers within the community would release
GPL-compatible icon sets - and then we would be able to reap the benefits
of a known-license whitelist for icon sets without adversely limiting Theme
developers' available options.

We need to ensure that we are doing what is best for end users, while also
taking into account any unintended consequences.

Chip