[theme-reviewers] Why the double standards and why Pagelines gets special treatment?

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Tue Mar 27 23:31:10 UTC 2012

Sorry I missed all of this exchange. I have been out of town for the past
week or so.

To answer your questions:

   1. An exception was requested, and granted, for PageLines to use a
   top-level menu. Note that we have no "formal" process for
   requesting/granting such exceptions. *The admins will work on developing
   such a system, to ensure open communication of all such interactions and
   decisions.*
   2. Regarding the rest of the issues: they may or may not be valid. I
   will go back and do a thorough review of the originally approved ticket,
   and will make any related/necessary comments, in-ticket. *I expect all
   further discussion specific to PageLines (or, to any other specific Theme,
   for that matter), to take place likewise in-ticket.*

Having said that, I want to reiterate the following points:

   - Theme reviewers are volunteers, and are humans, and thus subject to
   making mistakes. As such, *Theme reviewers deserve the benefit of the
   doubt in all matters regarding reviews*.
   - As the efforts of the Theme Review Team rely solely on the
   contributions of said volunteers, *the WPTRT admins will not tolerate
   such disrespect directed toward reviewers* as was implied in your
   message. There is no favoritism shown toward or against any Theme or Theme
   developer, period.
   - If anyone has a question, issue, or problem with a given review, the
   appropriate course of action is to post a comment, *in-ticket*. Bringing
   such comments to the mail-list without first attempting to resolve the
   question/issue in-ticket is counter-productive, and will lead to exactly
   what has happened here.
   - If such comment regards a question or clarification about a review
   observation or resolution, fine. But if such comment represents criticism
   toward the review or toward the reviewer, then I fully expect such
   criticism to be predicated by the commenter having performed sufficient
   reviews himself to have to right to levy such criticism. The WPTRT, like
   WordPress itself, is a meritocracy.

Also, regarding the "Featured Themes" list: there are no "formal"
guidelines for inclusion, frequency of change of Themes, or anything else
regarding the list. If you are submitting a Theme with the sole desire of
getting listed in the Featured Themes list, then you're _doing_it_wrong(),
and we probably don't want your Theme contribution anyway. Motivation
matters. Submit your Theme for the purpose of giving back to the WordPress
community, rather than for some sort of personal gain. Personally, I don't
even want to be involved in the Featured Themes list at all, precisely for
the reason that I would rather spend my time reviewing Themes than dealing
with the constant whining regarding which Themes are and are not included
in the list.

As a final note, to put this thread in perspective: in the past week that
I've been gone, this mail-list thread has seen more action than the review
queue, which has grown from around 15 up to 35 tickets awaiting review.

Chip