[theme-reviewers] tracking code in themes

Thomas Scholz thomas.scholz at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 05:35:13 UTC 2012

Trent Lapinski,

>> Sorry, that’s wrong. About 30% of the sites I manage are not public.
>> And the real number of posts is not so easy visible on many sites.

> PressTrends excludes localhost and dev environments. It only gives data
> on sites that are online.

For almost any site I build I create a 'meta' site (meta.example.com): A
blog to discuss internals, visible only to users who are logged in. Not a
local or a 'dev' site.
Any theme that is sending data about such a blog to a third party violates
my privacy and, worse, the privacy of my clients.

That’s also the reason why I run a patched¹ version of WordPress: Without
the users explicit consent any data send to any third party is plain evil.

Please accept that different people have different requirements for their
privacy. And even that WordPress itself violates these basic rules is not
an excuse for any similar action.

Regards
Thomas Scholz

¹ http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/16778