[theme-reviewers] Using WordPress core functions vs. custom functions

Caroline Moore calobee at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 21:03:46 UTC 2012

I can tell from a quick Theme Check and playing with the theme (at your
suggestion, thanks Cais) that it's more complex from a user
standpoint--offering background positioning, for example.

Also, the custom header allows users to upload an image of any size/aspect
ratio (rather than cropping to specific dimensions).  Not necessarily
"above and beyond," just different.

But again, I think keeping the theme options in one place makes more sense
than scattering them across the admin UI in this case.  Maybe it's still
possible to implement the core functionality and have it appear under the
theme options instead of the Appearance menus, but my knowledge of WP core
doesn't extend that far yet. :)

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Edward Caissie <edward.caissie at gmail.com>wrote:

> I haven't looked deep into the code, but if you believe the functionality
> being offered by the theme goes above and beyond the standard
> implementation recommended to be used in the guidelines then it can be
> noted but I do not believe it would push the theme over to a "not-approved"
> resolution ...
>
> ... I'll see if I can find some time to look into the code myself as well.
>

> Cais.
>

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Caroline Moore <calobee at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm working on the PageLines review.  The theme uses custom functions to
>> add headers and custom backgrounds (instead of add_custom_image_header or
>> add_custom_background).
>>
>> I'm assuming this is OK since this theme is kind of a special case.  I
>> can see where, in the interests of keeping all the theme's options in one
>> place, it makes more sense to use custom functions. It also looks as though
>> the functionality offered is more complex than the WordPress defaults.
>>
>> Let me know if I'm not on the right track with that thinking.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Caro

Caroline Moore

Calobee Doodles
Custom design and childrens illustration
http://www.calobeedoodles.com
http://calobee.etsy.com

Sixhours Photography
Conceptual art photography prints