[theme-reviewers] Feature slider default links

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Thu Aug 9 21:19:48 UTC 2012

The purpose of the "credit link" guideline is to define the only
acceptable, public-facing link that Theme developers may add to Themes.
Consider that guideline a "white list", rather than a "black list"; that
is: except for the footer credit link, Themes are not permitted to add any
public-facing links. Thus, my answer to this question:

I guess the big question at this point is, this has been in this theme for
months, did I violate a rule or do these links need to be changed or
removed?

...would be "yes": these links do not conform to the guidelines, and need
to be removed. And if any other Theme in the repository were found to be
displaying arbitrary, public-facing links, the developer would likewise be
asked to remove those links.

We seem to be at an impasse on this point:

Again, I'm not really sure how to demo that you can link these images to
something without actually linking them to something.

I've suggested three alternatives: home_url(), wordpress.org, and
example.com. For the purpose of demonstrating that a slider image acts as a
link, all three should be equally suitable. I find it hard to believe that
users would require a valid URI in order to understand that the slider
image is linked, and that it is intended to have a custom URL defined.
Thus, I see no reason why "example.com" wouldn't work. Likewise with using
home_url(): I find it hard to believe that a significant number of users
would believe that a slider image link was intended only to link to the
site front page, and that they wouldn't figure out that the site front page
link is used for demonstration/example purposes only. And if all else
fails: there's always "wordpress.org".

Chip