[theme-reviewers] #7076 - My first review - some questions

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Sat Apr 7 18:39:54 UTC 2012

See comments inline:

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Lucia Dossin <lucia at fiveblackcats.com>wrote:

> Hi there,
> I just finished my first review (ticket #7076, Zenon Lite) and I'd like to
> check some points with you, the veterans, before I proceed ;) .
>
> Policy Requirements
> ------------------
> - must all icons/graphics have an explicit license or is a general info
> about License in the readme.txt enough?

If the Theme developer owns copyright on all icons/graphics (and states
such), then the general license is fine. Otherwise, Theme should indicate
copyright/license for the bundled icons/graphics.

> - theme has a folder called ie6 where there's a js file with messages
> asking the user to upgrade their browser. There's no option to disable that
> in the Admin interface. Is that ok?

This is Plugin territory.

> - theme has an about.php file, inside admin folder, where theme author
> lists his facebook, twitter, flickr pages and his website as well. He also
> displays there a comparison table + link to the Pro version of this Theme.
> is that ok?

Yes, Upsell Themes are fine. Be sure to check the Guidelines regarding
Upsell Themes, but at a glance, I can't find anything that would cause a
problem. (e.g. both versions are GPL-licensed, and the commercial version
doesn't lock core WP functionality behind the paywall).

> -Theme comes with 3 font options. They are licenced under SIL Open Font
> License (OFL), I guess that's ok, right?

Yes, SIL OpenFont is GPL-compatible. Refer to the Guidelines for the list
of known-GPL-compatible font licenses.

> Theme Check Results
> ------------------
> Theme passed the tests and the following result messages were displayed.
> (1)RECOMMENDED: No reference to add_editor_style() was found in the theme.
> It is recommended that the theme implement editor styling, so as to make
> the editor content match the resulting post output in the theme, for a
> better user experience.
> ->My question: should I mention that in the review?
>
>  (2)RECOMMENDED: No reference to add_custom_image_header was found in the
> theme. It is recommended that the theme implement this functionality if
> using an image for the header.
> ->My comment on that: No image for the header, so I guess it's ok.
>
> Three more INFO notices were displayed.

Do NOT list recommended or info results in the Theme Review, unless they
are relevant - i.e. unless they are involved in a REQUIRED comment.

> Theme Unit Tests
> ----------------
> - If one of the options provided by Theme is checked (Enable Sticky Menu),
> Blog title rotates 90 degrees as I scroll (Firefox 11). Seems to be a bug.
> This options is checked by default.

That is definitely an issue, unless it is somehow by design.

> - Post with no title links to error 404 page.

That is a known bug in core, regarding numeric-only post titles/slugs. Edit
the post and reset the post slug, and that *should* resolve the problem.

> - Long menu doesn't 'break' the site layout but some menu items are
> displayed out of the menu bar. No mention to menu items limit was found in
> the readme.txt.

This should also be noted.

> first error refers to nested ul tags (they seem right, though).

Only comment regarding validation errors if they cause layout/markup
breakage. (Note: be sure to test validation on a post such as "Readability
Test", in order to minimize content-related validation errors.)

Thanks for helping with Theme reviews!