[theme-reviewers] Question on Custom Headers

Sayontan Sinha sayontan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 00:36:53 UTC 2011

> But since you're not actually implementing a *custom image header*, you
> should NOT use the "custom-header" tag. That tag is reserved for *custom
> image headers*.

The "custom-header" tag is NOT reserved for "custom image headers" - at
least not as per any documentation. It is quite old and as I mentioned,
Kubrick has carried the tag since long before something like the
add_custom_image_header came into existence (not that Kubrick is the
benchmark, but it still used to be the default theme prior to TwentyTen). If
the definition or the intent of the tag changed somewhere down the line, it
was not communicated clearly enough. Just like the other older "custom"
tags, "custom-background" or "custom-colors", any theme that allowed for
differently styling the header/background/font colors could use these tags
(and should still be allowed, IMHO).

Anyway, I don't mind removing the tag or amending my code to support it -
let's see.

With regards to the guidelines, the only reason I brought this up is because
a reviewer told me I have to implement it. Now whether the reviewer's remark
was based on the "custom-header" tag or because my theme does indeed allow
true customization of the header in various forms (essentially letting you
do everything the native "custom image header" lets you do including
changing the text color, hiding the text, and a lot more), I don't know.
Regardless, since this issue was never brought up with my theme until the
last review, I believe ambiguity exists. Whether or not you decide to reword
the guidelines is up to you - I was merely providing feedback, because
apparently my interpretation of it differed from the reviewer's.