[theme-reviewers] Question on Custom Headers

Sayontan Sinha sayontan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 23:35:56 UTC 2011

> The word "recommended" is bolded for a reason. If it said "required"
> then we'd be having a different kind of discussion.

Yes, but it also says that "if incorporated" I have to support the core WP
implementation and that is what was pointed out to me in my last review.
Technically though, as you have said, this functionality is not a "Custom
Image Header".

I have the capability to define a header background like Kubrick did (and I
call it a header background). In one way or the other this is still a
customizable header, and the theme is tagged with "custom-header" because of
it. AFAIK the tags don't distinguish between custom image header and custom
header background, and the review team doesn't distinguish either. A
reviewer probably sees "custom-header", then looks for a call to
add_custom_image_header(). So maybe this is something to note in the review
guidelines, then? Or maybe the text for this particular guideline has to be
amended?

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Sayontan Sinha <sayontan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So a question for the reviewers - the review guidelines state:
> >
> >> Theme is recommended to incorporate the following WordPress core
> >> functionality, but is not required to do so. However, if incorporated,
> >> functionality must support the core WordPress implementation:
> >>
> >> add_custom_image_header().
> >

> > Is it okay to not use the above function with a custom header then?
>
> The word "recommended" is bolded for a reason. If it said "required"
> then we'd be having a different kind of discussion.
>
> If you're doing something like allowing the user to select tiled
> images and implementing them through CSS backgrounds, then that's not
> really a "custom image header", as I see it. That's more like a
> "custom header background" or something. Maybe the wording could be
> better in your theme, to distinguish it? Wording is tricky that way.
>
> -Otto

Sayontan Sinha
http://mynethome.net | http://mynethome.net/blog
--
Beating Australia in Cricket is like killing a celebrity. The death gets
more coverage than the crime.