[theme-reviewers] Guidelines when revamping existing parent theme or framework

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Tue Sep 6 02:01:04 UTC 2011

What you're asking for is nearly impossible to define objectively. It is
entirely a subjective assessment regarding the significance or degree of
difference in design and/or functionality.

As for what the GPL requires:

1) Retention of the original code copyright notice and license declaration
2) Explicit statement that the work is derivative

That's pretty much it.

Also note: outside of the License/License URI header tags, we don't enforce
"proper" (i.e. as recommended by GNU) GPL ownership/copyright attribution.
Since most Themes don't really handle this as recommended by GNU, it becomes
that much more difficult to enforce "proper" copyright attribution for
derivative works.

Chip