[theme-reviewers] Guidelines when revamping existing parent theme or framework

Edward Caissie edward.caissie at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 00:13:25 UTC 2011

I don't recall exactly where in the guidelines it ended up but you seem to
be describing what was being called a derivative work.

The guideline was written to the effect: derivative works are fine provided
they are functionally different or significantly different in design. A
minor change such as the background color, for example, is not significant
enough whereas swapping the columns of a two-column layout should be
significant enough.

Also to note, once Child-Themes are officially approved for acceptance into
the repository the derivative works "definition" will likely change as for
the most part derivative works are achievable as a Child-Theme than as a
separate theme standing on its own.

Cais.