[theme-reviewers] Submitting a One-Page Placeholder Theme

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sat Oct 29 21:45:04 UTC 2011

You guys have had a lot of discussion while I was in the air... :)

Here's what I was thinking on the plane:

- Forget "niche". Think "specialty". That was the tag I was planning on adding.
- A "specialty" theme would be one that uses WP in some different way
than "normal". Different from just allowing somebody to create and
present content, basically. The ticket system thing, for example.
Heck, P2 is *almost* a specialty theme. I know this is vague.
- Such a theme might not have things that we require in normal themes.
A "blog" not being there is just a trivial example of this (since as
Chip pointed out, Pages == Posts for all intents and purposes). Maybe
a specialty theme implements a ticket system, or a forum, or a t-shirt
store, a multimedia hosting system, or just what-the-heck-ever.
Different. Weird. Awesome.

Tech-wise, here's what I'd do:
1. Add a new "specialty" tag ( and maybe display them differently or
something... TBD ).
2. Give the extend-theme-mod-admins power to whitelist a theme slug.
3. Whitelist would bypass theme-check in the uploader (mostly, some
security stuff we'd still run).
4. Only themes in said whitelist could use the "specialty" tag.
5. Said themes would get special handling in trac (somehow), since
they'd require a more thorough review.

Reviewer-wise, here's what I'd want:
1. Define "specialty" in some meaningful way. Meaningful as defined by
you guys, the theme reviewer team. You're doing the reviews.
2. Create some set of vague hand-wavy principles or shifting
guidelines that would allow the admins to determine whether any given
theme qualifies for the whitelist.
3. Buy-in from the admins to be willing to use a form somewhere to
edit the whitelisted slugs, since I'm not gonna do it. ;)

You don't need any more "buy-in" for this than you already have. Lay
down some principles or something, give me some time to do the tech
work, and it's all good. You're the reviewers. You get to determine
how reviews should work, and all that entails. I'll back it.

Just remember what Matt said once: The theme repo should host the best
of the free themes available. So far, a lot of great work has been
done to bring the themes up on a technical level. But not every theme
needs to be a carbon copy blogging and content presentation theme.
Themes are code, and some neat non-content-presentation-only stuff
exists in that realm. We should be able to host those too, as long as
they're free, cool, and technically acceptable.