[theme-reviewers] Submitting a One-Page Placeholder Theme

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Fri Oct 28 23:21:22 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Edward Caissie <edward.caissie at gmail.com>wrote:

> I agree the next step should be to get buy-in from WordPress.org et al.;
> the question is now: whom do we take this to directly?
>
> ... or, Otto? Do we just flesh out the idea and have you put it into
> code/action?

Go for it. No one will have an issue with the ability to white-list themes
to bypass the automated check. Just make sure there are basic standards in
place. To me, that sounds like the ability to appeal to the head theme
reviewers to be whitelisted. As an example, I let the initial Quality
Control bug tracker theme into the directory after the developer appealed to
me, and I agreed it was a good thing to showcase in the directory.

By basic standards, I'm referring to some sort of statement (from the
reviewers) that outlines what kind of discretion is used when deciding
whether a special-case/niche theme has enough mass appeal and/or
ingenius-ness to be included. I don't think the user needs a special tag, or
a special readme anything. There's no need to complicate this beyond some
super-basic contact/appeal procedure. I would think they should email this
mailing list.

I would suggest that the check still occurs and the results end up on Trac,
that way a the reviewer can get a good idea about what the theme *does*
implement. But that just depends on how Otto goes about it.

I don't think any new tags are necessary, for the upload system or for
users. The name and description of the theme is going to be enough of an
indication that it's a special-case theme.