[theme-reviewers] how to handle 3.3 deprecated notice?

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Tue Oct 25 01:06:07 UTC 2011

It **may** have worked in WordPress 3.2 depending on varying circumstances,
but definitely should have never been done that way in the first place.* It
may work, or most likely won't work, as expected in 3.3. *

Regardless of theme reviewers guidelines,* Theme authors: Please do test
with WordPress 3.3beta's*, and please do take notice of the warnings
generated.

Doing it wrong notices, are just that, You're doing something wrong, both in
3.3 and earlier, it may work, or it may not work, but you're gambling on
your theme working in future releases.

If it's a deprecated notice (which this isn't) and the replacement function
doesn't exist in 3.2, and you're planning on releasing immediately, then by
all means, use the 3.2 compatible function. If it's likely to be released
after 3.3, you're doing yourself a disservice by supporting 3.2 in most
cases.. With all the hard work you put into a theme, having to support older
versions of WordPress is a service few should need to consider.

In this case, the theme could pass through the Theme review guidelines by
the sounds of it, but just because it can pass, it doesn't mean you can't do
better.