[theme-reviewers] How are derivative works identified?

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Tue Oct 4 19:35:45 UTC 2011

Here's where the Review process gets incredibly subjective. Code can be
derivative, just as design can be derivative. I see at least three reasons
to consider the derivative nature of a work:

1) To preserve rightful copyright (and license freedoms)
2) To ensure that the Repository does not become flooded with what amount to
different "skins" of the same Theme
3) To ensure code is used purposefully, rather than merely copy-pasta. Code
that is copied just because it was "there" in the original Theme is less
likely to be understood, and therefore more likely to be implemented
incorrectly (or needlessly), and also more likely to become a risk to
security or robustness of the Theme.

So: working from each other's best practices, and not re-inventing wheels:
definitely a good thing! But we still have to consider the above caveats
(and there may be others).

Chip