[theme-reviewers] themes with bundled plugins

Edward Caissie edward.caissie at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 12:58:59 UTC 2011

If a theme in the WordPress Extend repository *requires* a plugin to
function correctly then that functionality should be built directly into
the theme itself.

Although it is an interesting piece of code you linked to, allowing for
theme authors to bundle plugins that are required(?) would open the
end-user to potentially unsafe code; or at the least, code that may only be
reviewed when the theme is updated. As the WPTRT has no control over the
code used in plugins this takes the review process out of our hands leaving
the potential for unscrupulous authors to do any number of things that are
not acceptable using the plugins to circumvent the Theme review process.

It is completely within reason for Theme authors to allow for, and use
conditional code to implement, plugins to add enhanced functionality; and
make recommendations of what plugins this will be best accomplished with.
Thus, making them required would not be acceptable ... it is essentially
saying the theme is broken, and therefore implying it should not be
approved to begin with.

Cais.