[theme-reviewers] A Question About Theme Review/Submission

Ryan Frankel ryan.frankel at gmail.com
Tue May 24 22:24:55 UTC 2011

Philip,
> The purpose of a theme is primarily presentation, and the purpose of a plugin is primarily functionality. Sure there are grey areas, but keeping this distinction in mind is good for everyone.
I agree.  We had an internal debate on which way to go with this and it was decided that since we were including styling it would be a theme.  What we saw with a lot of plugins is that while they give you the functionality you still have to do all the styling yourself (see any calendar plugin).  We wanted to create something that required absolutely no end-user interaction or coding so the theme was born.

It is even more of a grey area then I realized though.

When you look at it as users should be able to switch to any theme in the Repo I completely understand everyone's position.  Our's just wouldn't fit.  (Note:  You could argue that ours supports all the Core functionality, but it just doesn't display it =) [a joke] ).

Thanks everyone for your input.  I'm having a blast doing these WordPress projects and your input has definitely helped.

-Ryan