[theme-reviewers] A Question About Theme Review/Submission

Philip Walton philip at philipwalton.com
Tue May 24 22:09:14 UTC 2011

Ryan, you've brought up good points in a fair manner. I don't think
you've wasted anyone's time. These discussions are good.

Regarding the data lock-in of plugins being essentially the same as
themes, I'd have to disagree. While I see your point that any custom
post-type/taxonomy locks that content in at creation time, there is
still one big difference:

The purpose of a theme is primarily presentation, and the purpose of a
plugin is primarily functionality. Sure there are grey areas, but
keeping this distinction in mind is good for everyone.

Being "locked-in" to a particular plugin because of functionality the
user wants is very different than being "locked-in" to a specific design
because of functionality the user wants.

Philip