[theme-reviewers] Please assign me a theme to review

Daniel Tara contact at onedesigns.com
Tue Mar 29 14:34:32 UTC 2011

Hi Carolina,

Yes, you just reviewed an Automattic theme. How cool is that? *grin*

Here's the official blog post to it:
http://en.blog.wordpress.com/2008/09/12/depo-masthead-theme-launch/

Here's some feedback and suggestions;
Apparently the theme intends to create a custom pagination, to show
only the first 3 posts on the front page and a custom archive-based
navigation. This could be a potential issue since it may require
additional tweaking, Apparently this theme would run smoother if the
front page would be set to a static page. Otherwise, I would think the
use of the template front-page.php in this case would have been a
better choice instead of home.php. With the proper documentation such
a structure may be fine, but still subjective and the final decision
may be set to debate. I personally would not accept this because it
appears there is no main post navigation if the front page is set to
latest posts.

The WP admin bar does not break for me. What version of Firefox do you
use, could you include a screenshot?

In the future please also copy the errors/notices you receive from
WP_DEBUG and also the Theme Check requirements and recommendations.

This theme also has a theme options page. In the future please also do
a security review for such themes, checking if attributes are
correctly escaped, there are no XSS vulnerabilities, nonce fields are
added. If you are not familiar with the Settings/options API then
leave a request for someone else to do it.

This theme passes security tests, the only recommendation would be to
use the Settings API instead of the Options API.

Here are some other things you didn't catch:
The theme uses inconsistent function prefixes: sometimes functions
start with depo_ sometimes with depomasthead_
Also, functions like previous_archive_link and next_archive_link are
not prefixed at all and have very common names.

If other reviewers have other thoughts please share them, I only had a
quick look over the theme.

Daniel