[theme-reviewers] Including Creative Commons Attribution Code

Daniel Tara contact at onedesigns.com
Sun Mar 13 19:54:26 UTC 2011

" Almost every instance of a CC-BY-licensed WordPress Theme that I have seen
has mis-applied the attribution requirement, by requiring an arbitrary,
public-facing link."

This is what the CC-BY-SA attribution requirement says:
" Attribution - You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the
author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you
or your use of the work)."
Unless requiring the credit link to be public facing is considered an
endorsement of the usage work, there's no misinterpretation in requiring to
keep a public facing credit link.

I found this page:
http://creativecommons.org/compatiblelicenses
Which states: " to date, Creative Commons has not approved any licenses for
compatibility; however, we are hopeful that we may be able to do so in the
future"
Which suggests CC-BY-SA isn't GPL compatible. I also remember reading
somewhere that the FSF considers CC-BY-SA to be a free license but not
compatible with the GPL.

I also remember there was once a license with the name CC-GPL:
https://creativecommons.org/license/cc-gpl
Which now redirects to the original GPL license, which suggests to me they
dropped their interest in being GPL-compatible.