[theme-reviewers] Including Creative Commons Attribution Code

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sun Mar 13 19:28:38 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net> wrote:
> Well, let's make this simpler: This decision is above the pay-grade of the
> Theme Review Team.

I did some research, and while I can't find any particular reason that
the CC--BY-SA 3.0 would be incompatible, I also can't find anybody
saying that it actually is.

Debian, who are some of the most legalese people around when it comes
to licenses, have decided that CC-BY-SA 3.0 is DFSG-compatible (Debian
Free Software Guidelines), which means that it's "free enough" to be
in Debian: http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses#CreativeCommonsAttributionShare-Alike.28CC-BY-SA.29v3.0
. But that doesn't make it actually GPL-compatible.

So until proven otherwise, for the themes directory, I'd say no
Creative Commons licensing is allowed.