[theme-reviewers] fopen, fgets and freads errors

Tom Matteson perspectivevision at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 08:47:37 UTC 2011

Greetings All Concerned ...

I have a theme on the Repository--Wordsmith Anvil--which does not use fopen,
fgets or freads functions. It has been downloaded close to 10,000 times and
I have just received a comment from the second user who is receiving errors
referencing "failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in
...", or "supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in ..." with this
theme. The errors all point to various lines of wp-includes/functions.php,
except one file reference to the theme default css file, style.css. The
first user told me they disabled all plugins. Also, they performed a fresh
WordPress install and did not see the errors using TwentyTen and a number of
other themes. The second user who contacted me yesterday told me they do not
have any plugins installed and when they activated the Wordsmith Anvil
theme, these errors display at the top of the page.

Knowing that these functions are not used in this theme; yet the errors seem
to be theme specific, and each user experiencing these errors have WordPress
installations hosted on entirely different servers I am more uncertain as to
why these errors are being displayed. I was hoping someone on this list may
have experienced this with another theme and could shed some light on why
these errors would occur when the theme does not use those functions. In
fact, if these functions had been used in my theme, I am fairly certain it
would not have been approved anyway.

Otto, Nathan, Chip, Justin, Emil, Cais, etc ... any thoughts or feedback on
this. I would like to address this so that users in the future do not see
these errors.

*Best Regards
Tom Matteson*