[theme-reviewers] Heavily Commented Javascript Files.

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Tue Jul 5 03:24:01 UTC 2011

All else being equal and being implemented properly, I don't see any
reason why that should cause a problem.

Given that you're not actually required to provide a version of the JS
file with inline documentation (i.e. the condensed version would be
perfectly valid on its own), providing a second, documented version is
an example of going above and beyond. IMHO anything that adds
documentation to a Theme should be encouraged.

Chip

On 7/4/11, Michael Fields <michael at mfields.org> wrote:
> I've been working on integrating some javascript functionality into my next
> public theme. Thing is, I've grown quite accustomed to documenting my code
> over the past year and this applies to javascript as well. The file in
> question is almost 200 lines long and I only see it grown. Fully documented,
> it could easily become 3-400 lines. I'm projecting about 50% of the code
> will be documentation when all is said and done.
>
> I would like to include it into the theme much the same way that WordPress
> included js. Having a "dev" version and a "live" version. The live version
> would contain the same functional code minus excess whitespace and comments.
> I would not use any compression or package application to obfuscate the
> code.
>
> Just wondering if this is something that would pass theme review. I know
> questions like this have been asked before, but I honestly can not remember
> the outcome.
>
> Here's the script:
> https://github.com/mfields/nighthawk/blob/master/dropdowns.js
>
> Best wishes,