[theme-reviewers] Censorship must not be tolerated

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Mon Jul 4 14:05:37 UTC 2011

The purpose of this mailing list is for discussion of review of Themes
submitted for inclusion in the WordPress Theme Repository. It is primarily
intended for developers who are submitting Themes, and for volunteers who
are reviewing Themes - although it is also intended to solicit input from
other experts in the WordPress/Theme community.

Lively discussion and heated debate are welcomed and encouraged; however,
endless discussion and debate are not welcomed or encouraged. When such
discussion and debate begin to detract from the purpose of the mail list,
then they are no longer encouraged. This specific instance did not involve
lively debate and heated discussion; rather, it was comprised of one person
arguing a point to which every other single voice involved in the thread
disagreed.

*So, yes: I absolutely disagree with your statement.* This mail list is not
for general, Theme-related chatter. It does not exist to provide a sounding
board for endless ranting. Ending a discussion that has run its course of
usefulness is not censorship. (Your words on the mail list still exist in
perpetuity; and you are always free - *in your own venue* - to continue
expressing those words.)

Bear in mind: the WPTRT has a task to perform, and the performance of that
task does require making decisions regarding competing ideas - ideas with
which not everyone will always agree. One of WordPress' guiding philosophies
is instructive here: *Decisions, Not Options*. At some point, discussion of
a decision becomes a distraction, and a detraction, and for the good of the
project, it is better to make a decision and to move forward.

We had clearly reached that point in your discussion.

Chip