[theme-reviewers] Minified CSS

Austin Matzko austin at pressedcode.com
Fri Feb 18 14:48:02 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net> wrote:
> We're talking about removing whitespace, not obfuscating (e.g.
> base64-encoding) code. Removing whitespace is NOT "obfuscation". That
> suggestion is ludicrous.
> Let us be quite clear on what we're discussing here.

[snip]

> And this is the "minified" version of that same CSS:
>
> #selector-1, #selector-2, #selector-3 { background: #fff; color: #000; }
>
> Both are equally valid under the GPL. There is no GPL-compliance issue here,
> period.

If Syahir's CSS includes only one rule like that, then you could have
a point because it really could be the "preferred form of the work for
making modifications to it." However, what we're really talking about
is something that looks like this:

<http://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/wp-admin/css/wp-admin.css>

Chip, are you honestly claiming you prefer to edit CSS in that form?