[theme-reviewers] Another ticket

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Tue Apr 19 22:58:21 UTC 2011

Comments inline...

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Curtis McHale <curtis at curtismchale.ca>wrote:

> The theme I'm reviewing has JS that detects the browser version and tells
> them to update (http://browser-update.org/). There is not a theme option
> to remove this function or information in the description.
>
> What is the theme review stance on this feature?

Incredibly annoying, but nothing prohibits it. I would *require* a mention
of the "feature" in Theme documentation (readme.txt).

> There are also some list styles missing in comments. I don't think this is
> a reason for failure but should be noted and requested for update on the
> next version. Is that correct?

It depends on how egregious the style omission is. If lists within comments
are inheriting the comment-list styling, I would fail for that. If they
merely don't have proper indenting/bullets, I would perhaps say *required*
in next revision.

> The theme options are strictly a page that suggests the user donate if they
> like the theme. I know that credit links are okay but I'm not sure about
> this instance.

Also nothing prohibiting this. But I would balk at calling such a page an
"Options" page. You could perhaps require the page to be titled "Theme
Documentation" (etc.) rather than "Theme Options".

> The theme calls loop-archive.php through get_template_part but the file
> doesn't actually exist. Fortunately it defaults to loop.php but I'm
> wondering how this would be addressed. The theme works but I would think
> this should be corrected in the next version either by just using loop.php
> or by adding the file that is being called. Is that correct?

That could be for Child-Theme support (allowing e.g. a Child Theme to
include "loop-archive.php", and have it included). Due to the inherent
callback nature of the function, this is a correct implementation.

> The theme doesn't support post_formats. I thought that they were supposed
> to at least declare it and support whichever they picked. I don't see this
> information on the Theme Review page so is this assumption incorrect?

Post Formats are not required to be implemented. However, if the Theme has
custom loops for any of the Post Format types, then it is *required* to
support the core feature.