[theme-reviewers] How much should I weigh looks, scalability, and functionality?

Philip Walton philip at philipwalton.com
Fri Apr 15 15:16:04 UTC 2011

On 4/15/11 7:55 AM, Otto wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Philip Walton<philip at philipwalton.com>  wrote:
>> Also, if I have a lot of categories, only the first 4
>> show up in the primary navigation menu.
> There's a difference between "broken site" and "design choice". If the
> theme is designed to intentionally only allow 4 entries there, then
> that's okay. If it displays something visibly broken when you exceed 4
> entries (like cut off text, etc), then that's not okay.
The theme developer has a callback to this function, which explicitly
limits the number of categories to 4.

function display_pages() {
     echo '<ul>';
     wp_list_categories('title_li=&depth=1&number=4');
     echo '</ul>';
}

Ignoring the poor choice of function title, nothing is technically wrong
with this function, and no errors are caused when the site contains more
than four categories. However, intentionally limiting a menu to four
categories with no option to display all seems like a poor decision to
me. Furthermore, since the categories are ordered alphabetically, the
probability that these four categories are going to be the ones the user
wants seems quite low.

In my opinion, if a theme is limiting the number of items that appear in
a menu, then it should show some sort of "more" link or at least give
the user a setting where (s)he can choose exactly which items appear in
that menu.