[theme-reviewers] Themes With Customizable Logos

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Thu Sep 2 16:02:19 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Ryan Hellyer <ryan at pixopoint.com> wrote:

> >> In this particular Theme, the documentation basically says, "A logo.psd
> >> and independence.ttf is included in the psd folder. Edit the psd file,
> save
> >> as logo.gif and upload to the images folder".
>
> >> At a minimum, it's a recommend with respect to Custom Image Header
> >> functionality. I'm leaning toward require.
>
> Using a custom header like that then adds a "custom header" option in
> the admin panel, which the theme developer likely did not intend. So
> it should not be a requirement IMO.
>
> Ryan,

It's a case-by-case consideration.

Take a look at the Theme in question: http://themereview.chipbennett.net

That "Food Recipe" is the header logo. The Theme gives instructions for how
to change it. Thus, it would seem that the developer intends for it to be
customizable.

So, I'm not so much concerned about whether or not the Theme developer
"intended" for a "Custom Header" menu item to display in the users' back
end, as I am concerned with whether or not the Theme developer intended for
the header logo to be customizable.

Again, these are the instructions he gives:

A logo.psd and independence.ttf is included in the psd folder. Edit the psd
file, save as logo.gif and upload to the images folder.

That implies to me that the logo is intended to be customizable. The core
functionality vastly improves the user experience with respect to uploading
customized logos.

All that it would take to implement the core feature would be:

1) include add_custom_image_header()
2) define the custom header image dimensions
3) define the default image

Easy peasy. In fact, I'm going to put the code into a comment on the ticket,
to show how easy it would be to implement.

In the end, I don't see how this is all that much different from requiring
wp_nav_menu() when a Theme is using wp_list_pages() as a navigation menu.