[theme-reviewers] Themes and Favicons

Austin Matzko austin at pressedcode.com
Tue Oct 19 21:06:21 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net> wrote:
> The reason I think it should be *required* to provide a user configuration
> setting is, as I've already stated, because the Favicon is part of the site
> identity/branding, and not part of the Theme.

My point is that where issues are not clear-cut, there shouldn't be
*requirements.*  You say favicons should be determined solely by an
individual site's branding; Plesk, many shared hosts, and WPMU back in
the day disagree (by providing their own favicons by default).  So why
not give developers some freedom to work it out using a measure of
judgment?  If users don't like the favicon, they're not forced to use
that theme.

It's OK if there are contingencies that have not been specifically regulated.