[theme-reviewers] Themes and Favicons

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Tue Oct 19 20:47:36 UTC 2010

Theme Developers who don't want to mess with the site's Favicon aren't
burdened in any way whatsoever. I don't see a problem with requiring a
certain implementation of an optional feature.

The reason I think it should be *required* to provide a user configuration
setting is, as I've already stated, because the Favicon is part of the *site
identity/branding*, and not part of the *Theme*.

I ran into one Theme just this week that changed the Site Title. The default
setting was the Theme Name. Even though this scenario isn't explicitly
addressed by the Guidelines, I still required that the Theme Developer
change the default setting to bloginfo( 'title' ) - because users will (and
should) not expect the title displayed in the site header to be the Theme
Name - or anything other than what they define as Site Title.

I see the Favicon as incredibly analogous. For users who configure a
favicon.ico, they should not have to worry about the Theme changing it
without their permission.

Chip