[theme-reviewers] Things to Consider for Theme Upload Checker

Sayontan Sinha sayontan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 05:00:04 UTC 2010

Otto,
The reason I pointed this one out is because this function is invoked in a
!function_exists() condition. As a result in a runtime environment it will
never show a deprecation message, since it will only execute in an
environment where it is not deprecated by a newer function, like version
2.9. Hence there is no violation of the theme review guidelines.

The point I am trying to make is that the review guidelines do not state
that themes shouldn't be backward compatible, hence the upload checker
should not block themes that do backward compatibility the right way (i.e.
checking for a new function before invoking an old one). Currently it
appears like such themes will be blocked.

Of course, if the review guidelines are changed to state something to the
effect of removing backward compatibility that would be a different matter
altogether.

Sayontan.

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 8:41 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> Oh, I also wanted to add that the reason that particular one (
> automatic_feed_links() ) is marked "REQUIRED" is because it produces a
> deprecated function notice.
>
> And the theme review guideline states:
> "Themes are required not to have any notices, warnings, errors; or use
> of deprecated functions."
>
> So all the deprecated functions produce that REQUIRED message. It's a
> fairly long list of 103 function calls it's checking for there.
>
> -Otto

Sayontan Sinha
http://mynethome.net | http://mynethome.net/blog
--
Beating Australia in Cricket is like killing a celebrity. The death gets
more coverage than the crime.