[theme-reviewers] Introduction+

Dave Grossman dave at 943productions.com
Fri Jun 18 16:39:50 UTC 2010

Joseph et al,
I am a designer, developer, consultant, configurator, modifier, tweaker and outspoken advocate of WordPress. I have been so since the 1.2 release (which I believe was Mingus). I have been waiting for an opportunity to contribute to the project that I love. As soon as the Theme Review announcement went out, I jumped on the list.

And it was like jumping into the middle of a busy highway. The signal to noise ratio has been way out of whack and I have very seriously contemplated jumping right back out of the flow of traffic. I am willing to stick it out for a little bit, because I love WP so much.

Although I expect that there is a glut of themes to be reviewed (a great problem to have) it seems quite obvious that to get to the point where we can do that properly, we need to first refine and improve the Theme Review process. There have been some tools mentioned that might help in this process. I would suggest that before we look for a technical solution, we clearly understand the challenge, develop a process for meeting that challenge and then look for (or develop) a tool to manage the process.

I submit my understanding of the challenge as a framework for modification and expansion by the group:

REVIEW CYCLE
theme is submitted
basic automated verification process completed
theme added to review cue
theme assigned or review team alerted
theme tested against testing standards
theme status input into system and published if theme meets testing standards
theme submitter alerted with information of status and any required modifications
themes requiring modification are resubmitted and cycle continues at #2 above

When we get to the point where the theme review process is up and running effectively, I would love to focus on BuddyPress and Network-enabled (formerly WPMU) themes (and plugins when that process launches).

In solidarity,
Dave
--
Dave "diablo943" Grossman