[theme-reviewers] Goals and Process

chip at chipbennett.net chip at chipbennett.net
Fri Jun 11 16:28:28 UTC 2010

> 	* we shouldn't require/test that a Theme has all the "extra"
> features it could ever need;
> 	* if a theme *does* make use of a certain extra feature though,
> we should however test to make sure these extra features are implemented
> correctly.

Exactly!

> In regards to version support, I think this falls safely under
> "technical" and should be something we test, and not left to the end
> user to discover. The theme author can choose what versions they wish to
> support, and we can check that all functions used are present in that
> version of Wordpress. We are suddenly adding a big overhead by checking
> this though - but I can't think of a good way round it?

It's overhead that I wouldn't mind. In fact, I think it would be a
far-better use of our time and effort than critiquing aesthetics.

I think any newly submitted theme needs to support the latest version
(defined perhaps as the current release, or any current Release
Candidate?). Likewise for updated themes (if we are reviewing updates in
addition to new submissions).

Backwards compatibility should be defined by the author - though seeing
what functions/etc. are used (e.g. in conditionals) would also give us
clues. And if the author claims that a theme is backwards-compatible to
Version X, then we should ensure that claimed compatibility is true (e.g.
are calls functions implemented after Version X properly sanitized, with
conditionals and alternate output?).

Chip