[theme-reviewers] Distilled Review

Tom Lany mail at tomlany.net
Fri Jun 11 02:43:37 UTC 2010

I reviewed Distilled v. 1.4
(http://themes.svn.wordpress.org/distilled/1.4).  Overall, I like the
looks.  I just have a couple of concerns:

    * When WP_DEBUG is turned on, I get the following errors in the admin:
                + Top of all admin pages:
                      # Notice: Undefined index: page in
                        /home/tomlanyn/public_html/dev/testing/wp-content/themes/distilled/lib/admin/theme-admin.php
                        on line 11
                + When trying to update a pages or change themes, I get
                  this error (in addition to the above error). This
                  error also prevents me from completing the desired
                  action (updating page, changing theme, etc.). I do not
                  have any problems when WP_DEBUG is off.
                      # Warning: Cannot modify header information -
                        headers already sent by (output started at
                        /home/tomlanyn/public_html/dev/testing/wp-content/themes/distilled/lib/admin/theme-admin.php:11)
                        in
                        /home/tomlanyn/public_html/dev/testing/wp-includes/pluggable.php
                        on line 868
                + A bunch of errors are present on the distilled options
                  page in the admin
    * Also, this theme uses the depreciated get_the_author_email
      function on post pages.
    * When the number of links at the very top (navigation bar) exceeds
      the number of links there are room for, they cover the title
      below.  Perhaps this is unavoidable, or perhaps the length of this
      bar could be extended if more links exist.
    * Perhaps the screenshot.png could be sized down to save space (is
      currently ~250k).
    * Perhaps an error could be added to the 404 page; currently the
      page appears as a blank template page.  Might an error message be
      helpful?
    * When multiple pages exist in a post, the author might consider
      making links to the following pages more apparent.
    * When I view an attachment image on the attachment image page, the
      image is displayed twice.  I might consider an attachment.php file
      with the appropriate info.

I really like the blockquote styling, and think this theme has great
potential, and just needs to have a few code issues polished up.  The
colors work well together, and the code is well done as a whole.  The
stylesheet is well organized, which should be helpful to new folks.
Keep up the great work!

--
Tom Lany
http://tomlany.net/