[theme-reviewers] Theme Scan Failing

Sayontan Sinha sayontan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 17:46:29 UTC 2010

What about instances of caching? E.g. I have a lot of look and feel options
that can be set by the user. However if you attempt to print them out as
dynamic CSS on the fly it creates extra server load, not to mention an ugly
lot of CSS before the content in the page's source. Instead the CSS is saved
as a local file at the time of saving the options and then that file is
linked in the source.

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 3:02 AM, Sayontan Sinha <sayontan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am curious as to what qualifies as a better way of doing things. E.g. I
> > have code where depending on selections certain stylesheets are grouped
> > together, then either they are compressed and/or minified.
>
> See, that sounds awfully functional to me. Why would you want the
> theme to be doing that?
>
> A theme is supposed to describe how the site looks, not how the site
> works. Sure, for custom jobs, we all do it and put this sort of thing
> in the theme, but remember that the directory is supposed to hold
> themes to be used for public consumption. Anybody can use them.
>
> So doesn't it make a bit more sense to make this sort of
> compression/minification more generic, able to apply to any theme, and
> then to put it in a plugin?
>
> Also, look into wp_enqueue_style, which is capable of minification and
> combining css files.
>
> -Otto

Sayontan Sinha
http://mynethome.net | http://mynethome.net/blog
--
Beating Australia in Cricket is like killing a celebrity. The death gets
more coverage than the crime.