[wp-hackers] Ping and trackbacks.

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Tue Jan 25 12:29:15 GMT 2005

Craig Hartel wrote:
> Okay...here's a good question for you folks. We all wish there was one
> standard RSS, I'm sure, just like we want one standard for browsers and
> so on. So, how come "we" have both track and pingbacks. I have never
> been able to explain this to someone on the forums. I myself don't
> understand the differences.

I added this layman's explanation to the Codex some time ago:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Introduction_to_Blogging#Pingback_and_trackback

Does that help at all?

> So, good coders, why can't we have a simple ping? Why can't it be one
> simple, straight-forward little thing? I realize that some pings are to
> a specific URI, while others are simply to a URL, but what is it about
> them that prevents them from being merged into oneness?

Trackbacks send some portion of the data from the originator to the
recipient, as kind of a teaser or preview.  This snippet is generally
displayed inline with regular comments.

Pingbacks send only the ping, with no content.  Pingbacks are generally
best thought of as "off-site comments", and the ping is intended to let
the ping recipient know that the ping originator has something to say
about the matter.

Pingbacks were designed to overcome many of the deficiencies of
trackbacks.  There's no verification of trackbacks: it's a one-way
communuication from trackback originator to trackback recipient.
Pingbacks are a two-way connection, in which the pingback recipient will
actually make a new connection to the pingback originator to confirm
that the ping is coming from a legitimate source.

Pingbacks are harder to spoof (though not impossbile), and can therefore
be considered as more "authoritative".

Hope that helps explain why both exist -- each serves a slightly
different purpose.