[wp-hackers] Ping and trackbacks.

Craig Hartel craig at nuclearmoose.com
Tue Jan 25 07:59:56 GMT 2005

Okay...here's a good question for you folks. We all wish there was one standard
RSS, I'm sure, just like we want one standard for browsers and so on. So, how
come "we" have both track and pingbacks. I have never been able to explain this
to someone on the forums. I myself don't understand the differences.

You need not link me to Movable Type's site which has a fairly detailed
explanation of this. I've read many explanations, and I'm no closer to
understanding this. It is mind-numbing for new users, I'm sure you'll agree.

So, good coders, why can't we have a simple ping? Why can't it be one simple,
straight-forward little thing? I realize that some pings are to a specific URI,
while others are simply to a URL, but what is it about them that prevents them
from being merged into oneness?

I thank you for your time and consideration.
GO PATS GO!

Craig.

--