[wp-hackers] OT: "Nofollow" Rant

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Sat Jan 22 22:19:01 GMT 2005

Craig Hartel wrote:

> I've seen comments on this list to the effect of "well if you don't
> like it,
> then just write a plugin to change it." That's something I take a
> serious issue
> with. Why? Because the vast majority of WordPress users (insert all
> other blog
> tool products as well) cannot code.

You'd have a bigger case if someone complained about it in the support
forums and a hacker came along and replied, "Just write a plugin."  I
think the only answer at this point is, "People in the hackers list are
talking about how to write plugins to accomplish that."  Presumably
we're all coders here (except for the venerable few who want to keep
track of development trends, such as yourself), and when we say, "You
could just write a plugin," we're not addressing the typical WP user,
but really just staring each other down waiting for someone to write
it.  A couple of decent attempts have already flown by.

My assumption is that someone will write a plugin addressing these
nofollow issues after they've been discussed to death (better to
determine their fate in CVS first), and it'll be accessible to common
users in support.  Some nofollow support has already made its way into
my own (not-yet-public) OSA spam filter - I can't be the only one.

Owen