[wp-hackers] CVS: wordpress/wp-includes comment-functions.php

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Sat Jan 22 16:51:51 GMT 2005

Robert Deaton wrote:

>how about wrappering all the parts of the code that add rel="nofollow"
>with an if(get_settings('use_nofollow') == 1) and adding a checkbox in
>one of the options pages.

The policy on WordPress options has always been to provide a core set of
functionality without an overabundance of options, while allowing for
plugins to alter this core behavior.

Adding such an option would not allow plugin developers to handle
nofollow links in custom ways (such as providing ways to disable
nofollow on links based on custom criteria, like whether the link is in
the blogroll, or whether the link passes checks in a spam filter), and
allows uninformed users to disable innate anti-spam measures too easily.

Maybe I trust everyone on this list to install appropriate anti-spam
measures and only disable nofollow when it's prudent, but I don't trust
the tens of thousands of common WordPress users who wouldn't even
understand this message thread.  There are already solutions available
(posted elsewhere in this list) for people who really don't want to use
nofollow.  I'm sure more robust solutions will become available as the
nofollow code evolves.

Owen