[wp-hackers] OT: "Nofollow" Rant

Craig Hartel craig at nuclearmoose.com
Sat Jan 22 08:32:06 GMT 2005

Firas D. wrote:
> Mark Jaquith wrote:
>
>> Someone brought this up earlier, and it really gives you the best of
>> both worlds.  All links in comments will have rel="nofollow" at
>> first.  But if the comment is still there after X days, it gets removed.
>

> That actually sounds like a great compromise. If there is an option
> about nofollow, it should be about the delay in removal, with 0 turning
> the attribute off.
>
> The only way nofollow will work if it is on by default, out of the box,
> until the admin changes something about it. Otherwise the search engines
> would have handed us something on a silver platter that we turned down
> to redraw the conventional battle lines.

This assumes that person "A" cares the least little bit about how well the
search engines rank pages. It's hard enough to get people to want to use
semantic structure to their sites, let alone explain how they have something
running to help the search engines. Nofollow has more benefits to the SEs and
not the blogs. We will still get the spam.

Craig.