[wp-hackers] OT: "Nofollow" Rant

Craig Hartel craig at nuclearmoose.com
Sat Jan 22 01:21:09 GMT 2005

Chris Traweek wrote:
> I know the person who came up with rel="nofollow" at google,  and can
> guarentee that it was not implemented as a form of "publicity".
>
> They're trying to help fix the problem in a way that empowers us all.

1. I agree they aren't using it as publicity. However, their news release, along
with the other players, seems to imply that they have come up with something
that is on the scale of the next iPod or something.

2. Google "caused" all this problem when they created the Page Ranking system.
It was short-sighted, to say the least. There was criticism of it from the very
start, but as Google was a private enterprise, they answered to nobody.

3. They don't give a plug nickel about empowering me. "They" being the corporate
internet. If every blogger who had an AdSense account removed all the ads from
their blogs, then that would be a bigger motivation to Google than simply
stopping spam. They are in the business to make money, pure and simple. If
bloggers take away a large source of income, maybe we'd have more clout.

Craig.
Cranky Nuclear Moose.