[wp-hackers] nofollow

drDave drdave at unknowngenius.com
Fri Jan 21 23:28:59 GMT 2005

Without even getting into the debate as to whether 'no follow' should
or should not be enabled by default, let me just point out the rather
obvious:
if there are two versions of WP out there with the same footprint and
one of them has a chance of not been using "no follow", you can bet
spambot will keep hitting *both* as hard as they can (possibly harder,
since, as somebody pointed out, they've just received an
acknowledgement of the value of comment spam).
I seriously doubt spammers will go to any length to differentiate
between two identical installs where the only difference is the state
of the "no follow" setting.

To sum-up: leaving the "no follow" attribute as an easily disabled
option makes it pretty much useless for everybody.

Not recommending any specific approach here, just something to
consider...
--
Dave / デイヴ
http://unknowngenius.com/blog