[wp-hackers] Differentiating nightlies and betas

Josh Jarmin fuegodesigns at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 20:17:08 GMT 2005

What about doing something similar to what Apple does?  Have a
developers program and have a signup for the program?  If people have
to sign up in order to download the nightlies and get access to the
cvs and wiki then maybe it will keep more people out who have no right
downloading the nighlies.  Maybe on the form have the basic
information and also ask about coding experience, do you want to
develop a plugin/add to the source/etc, just make it a little harder
for anyone just to go and click a link and download the nightly.  It
would still have to be easy and free of course, but it needs to be
hard enough that most beginner users will feel that maybe they
shouldn't be doing this because they don't know enough.  Just my 2
cents.

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:42:25 -0700, Craig Hartel <craig at nuclearmoose.com> wrote:
> Carthik Sharma wrote:
> Nightlies are not
> > friendly for the average end user, but if they want to break their
> > boxes, who are we to stop them? We should stop feeling "guilty" or
> > "responsible" for their problems, and use whatever inputs we get from
> > them, and gently remind them that nightlies are not the best option
> > out there.
>
> Yes, I agree totally that open source should be as open as possible, no doubt
> about it. My response to the above statement is that I don't generally feel
> "guilty" about not being able to help someone who is in over their heads, I feel
> frustrated being one of those who takes the brunt of "your
> site/documentation/forum/etc. is shitty and if it was better I wouldn't have all
> these problems and I wouldn't be here ranting."
>
> I would be satisfies with BIG RED LETTERS that warn users. If you call something
> a "Developer Edition" or words to that effect, you may scare away some of those
> who should be waiting for the stable release.
>
> Craig.

Thanks,
Josh Jarmin
FuegoDesigns.com