[wp-hackers] Differentiating nightlies and betas

Craig Hartel craig at nuclearmoose.com
Tue Feb 22 19:42:25 GMT 2005

Carthik Sharma wrote:
Nightlies are not
> friendly for the average end user, but if they want to break their
> boxes, who are we to stop them? We should stop feeling "guilty" or
> "responsible" for their problems, and use whatever inputs we get from
> them, and gently remind them that nightlies are not the best option
> out there.

Yes, I agree totally that open source should be as open as possible, no doubt
about it. My response to the above statement is that I don't generally feel
"guilty" about not being able to help someone who is in over their heads, I feel
frustrated being one of those who takes the brunt of "your
site/documentation/forum/etc. is shitty and if it was better I wouldn't have all
these problems and I wouldn't be here ranting."

I would be satisfies with BIG RED LETTERS that warn users. If you call something
a "Developer Edition" or words to that effect, you may scare away some of those
who should be waiting for the stable release.

Craig.