[wp-hackers] Backup Plug-in and WordPress Plug-In System - Was Re:" "

David Clark david at davidsaccess.com
Sun Feb 13 22:01:09 GMT 2005

Jonathan,

Do you have any idea what nonsensical, inaccurate, ill-informed bs you
are spewing'?
> Frankly most WordPress plug-ins aren't really plug-ins. Making
> plug-ins and the main distribution of WordPress as light as possible
> should mean
> 1) being able to put a plug-in into the plug-ins directory,
you do -- its called wp-content/plugins
> 2) have the application auto-sense the plug in and then let that be it,
> Just like in an application like Photoshop Elements. I would think the
> best way to handle any plug-in features would be to make it easy for
> the basic non-hacking user to set up and understand and freely add
> functionality. IMO, that's where WordPress falls short. At worst, only
> one file, perhaps the configuration file should be changed (again, you
> could have the config be modded automatically to support the existence
> of certain plug-ins, if the plug-ins are to be officially vetted in
> some way.
Uh, hello? you have that. Turning on/off is just a safety thing
> )
>
> Why do I say this and use the Backup plug-in as an example? It seems
> to me that any backup function that forces you to drop files into a
> directory that should only house main distribution of the software
> (and nothing more -- so the main distribution of the product can be
> easily and simply upgraded) is a MODIFICATION, not truly a plug-in.
> It's one I have to track every time I upgrade.
uh, can you say wp-content? that is ONLY and ALL custom stuff

> I think that's the reason why folks look at a great backup tool (or
> any other great "plug-in"), and say "I don't want to have to remember
> let alone presume what files have been altered, etc etc etc to make my
> site have this great functionality."  Matthias, That is why however
> great this backup system you've mentioned is, it is somewhat
> frustrating for people to have to remember or deal with hacking a
> solution together, which IMO is one of the reasons for coming to
> WordPress in the first place. (More or less)
See above.

> Now that I've said it, hopefully this is or has been a concern with
> the developers of WordPress. Offering this as a method for growth into
> the product will only ease participation.
Thanks -- now go back to the forums where your  illinformed dribble is
more tolerable and weilcome