[wp-hackers] Themes: Moving from 1.2.x to 1.5

podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Fri Feb 11 15:59:22 GMT 2005

Sebastian Herp wrote:
> Yesterday I tried to update the wordpress blog of a friend of mine. It
> didn't went as smoothly as it could have ...

I haven't given this the amount of time it probably needs, but I too
cannot get the auto-upgrade to work. Part of it stems from wondering
what to do with the original index.php from 1.2  as it needs splitting
down maybe ? Either way I don't know where to put it.

The manual guide I have done is being tested this weekend by a friend
(last test) and so far it has worked very well.

Given the diversity of the skillset of users, along with server
configurations, I don't think we should be giving users any excuse to
blame code for their blog detonating at upgrade. For that reason, I
think any such auto-upgrade should come with huge warnings. In fact,
encode the instructions. If they can't decode they can't handle it.

The manual way does work.

I'm not dissing anyone's work here - esp Ryan's - I'm just saying it as
I see the forums reacting.

P.