[wp-hackers] Staticize Reloaded... tweaks...

Joseph Scott joseph at randomnetworks.com
Thu Feb 10 22:33:32 GMT 2005

On Feb 10, 2005, at 12:24 PM, Matt Mullenweg wrote:

> Donncha O Caoimh wrote:
>> As a further improvement on caching, you could wrap the entire WP
>> process inside PEAR Cache. I use the PEAR Output Cache to cache the
>> output of my blog.
>
> I checked out the PEAR stuff but my impression was the license (yuck)
> is incompatible with GPL and so we can't legally bundle it.

	I was under the impression that this was certainly doable.  A little
bit of Googl'ing turned up the following site:

http://benramsey.com/archive/cat/licensing_boredom/what_the_gpl.php

I think the GPL FAQ question he refers to is here:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs

I'm not looking to start a license war, just trying to clarify that it
looks like WP (using the GPL) can distribute a BSD/PHP/etc licensed
module if an exemption in the WP license is given.

I haven't looked at PEAR Cache specifically for use with WP, but if
turns out to be the best solution to the problem, it would be a shame
to not be able to use it because of conflict between two open source
licenses.

If it turns out that I'm wrong please accept my apologies in advance.

--
Joseph Scott
http://joseph.randomnetworks.com/