[wp-hackers] Dashboard Clutter

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Sat Feb 5 17:10:27 GMT 2005

Matt Mullenweg wrote:

> Owen Winkler wrote:
>
>> This spot could also be used for statistics summaries (with cool
>> graphs!) about referrals and browsers and such.
>
> I think things like that would be great for sub-menus of Dashboard.

Maybe, but I would certainly rather see statistics for my own blog on
the main dashboard page than read post titles from yours, which may be
interesting but are usually not WordPress related.  I mean, I have an
RSS aggregator and it's name isn't WordPress.

>> You don't want items like that to be missed in the midst of Craig's
>> illuminating but low-s/n-for-most-users interview.
>
> If you have something you'd like to write for the dev blog please let
> me know. Ideally it would be updated at least weekly.

Maybe you understood my point from my last message, but I want to be
clear about this:
Interviews and musings about blog society are fine content and even I
enjoy them.  But the primary feed that's permanently on the dashboard
should display *only* high-risk security notices and version upgrades.
If some random weekly post (that users have questionable interest in
anyway) pushes down an important security upgrade notice, something has
gone wrong.

Owen