[wp-hackers] WordPress centric hosting

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Sat Sep 11 01:00:31 UTC 2004

> Nobody can guarantee uptime. If you believe that, then I have some quality
> waterfront property for sale in Florida which may interest you! :)
>
> Craig.

In the telecom industry, vendors are contractually obliged to five
nines, with many customers making the vendor pay penalties for service
interruptions.  If traffic is lost, you as an equipment vendor pay for
each second (sometimes millisecond) of that lost traffic.  That gets
expensive with even a small interruption on a piece equipment chock full
of OC192s.  OC192 runs at 10Gbps.  If you're doing 128 color wavelength
division that's 1.28Tbps per OC192 card.  If you don't make uptime
guarantees when pumping that much traffic, you're not in business.

Of course, that's an extreme example.  I don't require five nines
availability for the weblog I keep about my dog.  :-)  Regardless,
uptime guarantees are serious business.

Ryan