[wp-hackers] wp-sidebar.php - In or Out? [was Re:1.3a2 CVS]

Amit Gupta amit at igeek.info
Wed Sep 8 20:56:03 UTC 2004

an interesting insight Matt. I like that. So, if that's the case & if there'd be only 1-2 chunks, I don't think that people would have any  problem, atleast, I don't have any problem in that. ;)

-----
Amit

---------- Original Message from m at mullenweg.com ----------
I was just waiting to see everyone's thoughts before saying anything. I
think separating out the sidebar is a good idea. We already ship with a
simplified template (wp.php) and there's no reason this couldn't become
combined version of the split up template, commented so everyone can
understand what's going on.

Current combined templates will work just fine. I think the includes
are a
good way to introduce people to a basic and easy to use feature of PHP,
as
well as make the pages functionality a lot more natural. Obviously it's
not done yet (the template editor needs to be updated, for example) but
think once people get the idea that they can just drop in templates for
different types of pages (or not) that won't be overwritten in upgrades
they'll like it.

There is an education aspect to this. I know a few web designers who
are
otherwise competent but they use MT for every site because that's the
only
way they know to separate out headers and footers (using MT's include
template tag). Just like the quicktags gently teach people HTML if they
want to learn, this will gently introduce some basic PHP concepts.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | more soon...